Saturday 4 August 2012

Scannell Remains Confident In The Squad

Scannell confident in squads future/ability
New boy Sean Scannell is one of the players which has impressed in pretty much every pre-season friendly the terriers have been part of this season. His performances have seen him being called up to the U21 Ireland team and although the results may not have been the best, Scannell is confident that the entire squad will be ready come their first competitive match;

The pre-season games could have gone better, obviously, but we have a fairly new team here including a few new players and we are gelling together gradually. I know a lot of changes are made in pre-season games, but we are all good players and you have to get used to it. Things will keep coming together and hopefully by the start of the season we’ll be ready to push on; we’ll be ready and raring to go."

“We still have two more friendlies, and one of them is Barcelona – we know they’ll be all about the possession! There is plenty of time for us to build up some more confidence and see where we are."
Scannell has taken on an entire life change after he joined the terriers from his hometown club of Crystal Palace but the youngster is enjoying the new experience and looking forward to his future with the club;

“I’ve been here for a short while now and I’m enjoying it; the lads are great. I’m just looking forward to the season now. I’m living in Lindley at the moment and I’m settled in; it helps that Oscar is up there too as I don’t drive at the moment. Hopefully I’ll keep my accent though!” 
Scannell's call up to the international U21 squad will unfortunately mean he will miss the Capital One Cup Round One tie against Preston North End and he spoke about his international football with an extreme passion;

"That’s football isn’t it – you just have to do it. It’s great to get the call up, but at the same time it’s very frustrating to miss the Preston game. It’s quite a while since my last call-up though, so it’s definitely good to be back involved. I’ll go there, but then I’ll come back and focus on the Cardiff game. 

“I’d love to force my way into the senior Irish squad, but let’s just see how this season goes first. I’ll worry about my club football first because if I do well for Huddersfield, international football should follow.  I can’t wait to get going! Last year I played against Cardiff in the League Cup semi-final and that’s a game I remember well, so perhaps I have a point to prove against them!”
Sean is also a vastly experienced Championship player despite his young age and this is shown with him currently having 130 caps in the second tier of English football. Scannell knows what this division is like and this is one of the big factors which would have caught Grayson's eye;

"It’s a good League – but very hard too. You have teams like Cardiff, Blackburn and Bolton in there and in the Championship you really never know where you will finish – you see teams starting the season and looking like the worst in the division, but then come the end of the season they are promoted. We’ve got to take it game by game and see how we do."

No comments:

Post a Comment