Wednesday 8 August 2012

Anthony Gerrard is Snapped Up By The Terriers

It was more or less confirmed yesterday but Huddersfield Town have this morning officially announced the signing of Anthony Gerrard from Cardiff City. The centre back has played 120 times in The Championship and at just 26 years old, Gerrard is hungry to make a point after failing to really break into the starting XI for Cardiff City.

Anthony Gerrard spoke to the official website yesterday & here is what he had to say in regards to his move to the Yorkshire club;

"You always have a point to prove when you leave a Club, particularly in the circumstances that I have left Cardiff. I don't think I was given a fair opportunity or crack of the whip there. I went to Hull and did exceptionally well, so I was looking forward to returning to Cardiff and getting a clean start – but for some reason that didn't happen." 

"I didn't play for some reason, so this is a chance for me to get back to playing football and to prove to people that I'm a top player. I'm a Huddersfield Town player now and that's all behind me. I'm fully focussed on the start of the new season. It's funny that our first League game is against Cardiff, because it was my first game when I moved to Hull on loan too – it seems to be a re occurring theme."

"Last season was bad for me in that I didn't play as many games as I wanted to. Playing football is my job – that is what I want to do! I heard Huddersfield was interested and I knew it was a great opportunity for me to move back to the North West; to get close to my family and get that side of my life back together. It is also a chance for me to play in a fantastic stadium and be part of a team that's going places."

"The way that Huddersfield Town play football appeals to me. I spoke to the manager and he sold the Club to me. I know it's a great stadium and club from playing here for Walsall a few years back – I also remember that the pitch is absolutely massive, which bodes well to play football on. Competition for places will be tough, but I'm really looking forward to it and I'll be giving my all."

Gerrard was keen to state that Championship football was a big factor for his move to Huddersfield as well as being closer to his family;

"Once you play at a certain standard you don't want to fall below that. Moving to Huddersfield still gives me that platform to play on. A number of teams enquired about me, but I thought it was best for my family and to come here, where I will enjoy my football."

"I'm fully committed – you'll get 110% no matter what. I won't shirk a challenge, I'm a leader on the pitch and hopefully I think I can play a bit as well! I am an out and out defender, but I also like to get on the ball and I think Huddersfield can bring the best out of me." 

It will be a surprise if we see Gerrard play against Barcelona B in tonight's friendly at The John Smiths Stadium but he is expected to be there and explained his relationship with skipper Peter Clarke and how team spirit is vital in the squad;

"That's one of the main things about being a footballer – getting to know all the players at your Club. I know Clarkey from when I first started at Everton; he is about four or five years older than me and its strange how things have come full circle and I'll be playing with him again. Having good spirit and banter is part of what makes a team successful and hopefully we can surprise a few people with how we get on this season."


Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment