Tuesday 14 August 2012

Spencer Happy To Have Caught Managers Eye

Jimmy Spencer has progressed through the ranks at Huddersfield Town and made his first competitive appearance for the terriers against Preston North End yesterday. Regardless of the disappointing result, Spencer caught Simon Grayson's eye and was praised by the manager after the game.
Now the young forward is hoping he can play a big part in the Championship campaign for Huddersfield but admits it will be hard for him to get into the starting XI;
"My loan spells away were always with this day in mind. I always wanted to come back here – I really wanted to give it a go last season and see what happened, but it was necessary for me to go back out on loan. I did well last season and now I've got my chance. I'm grateful that the manager has given me the chance to show everyone what I can do tonight – hopefully I caught his eye. To get the reception I did from the Town fans when I came off means everything as well; I've waited a long time for this as I've been at the Club since eight years old."
Jimmy Spencer was one of the only positives which came out of the 2-0 loss against Preston North End and admitted that himself & the whole team/squad will have to improve if they are to give Cardiff a run for their money on Friday;
"I think all the lads are disappointed – we know that as a team and individually it wasn't good enough. We need to work on things – in particular we need to be brighter in the first half an hour of the game. We can't lay the blame though – we'll just keep working hard and it will come."
"We went to 4-4-2 and we got more of the ball, and used it better. It worked for me personally too, as I felt I played better having Lee Novak in and around me when the ball arrived. I don't mind playing up front alone – I like playing either. It is hard when things aren't going for you and you're up there alone with two centre halves on your back, but you just have to deal with that and get through it."
Huddersfield Town will open up The Championship against Cardiff City on Friday which will also be broadcasted live on Sky Sports and Spencer was eager to let us know that the squad can't wait to get going;
"We're raring to go at Cardiff now and perhaps we needed this kick up the backside. We know we didn't play our best tonight and we really have to focus ahead of the Championship. Cardiff are a good Championship side and the game will show what level we are at."


Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone







No comments:

Post a Comment