Tuesday 3 July 2012

Bennett On Huddersfield & The Championship

Ian Bennett signed a new contract yesterday that shall see him remain at the club until the summer of 2014. At 40 years of age, Bennett may be seen as 'knocking on' but the veteran proved exactly why he deserved a new contract with his amazing performances last season. Benno spoke to the official website about Huddersfield Town, his future at the club and of course promotion;

"It's great that I've got my new contract sorted, because I want to finish my career at the Club. If I hadn't managed to come to an agreement with Town I think I would have probably started on a coaching career instead, but it's great that I can continue. I feel really at home at the Club."

"The Club asked me what I thought at the end of the campaign and I think I'm strong enough to keep playing. Obviously I'll monitor my own condition like I always do, but the Club obviously feels I warranted a two year deal and that's great news for me because I want to play a big part as it continues to progress over the next two seasons."

"Everyone is still on a high at the Club following promotion and having played at this level before I think our squad can definitely compete at this level, particularly given the additions the manager has made already. It's going to be a great division to play in this season - a lot of the other teams play in the same style as us and that will only help. If we start the season well, I think we might surprise a few people. You never know where a good start can take you."

"All the goalkeepers at the Club could go away at the end of the season feeling great, because we all contributed to the team's promotion. I played quite a few games and Alex played such a huge role in the final, but everyone contributed because we all push each other so hard during training. We all get on very well; we're a real close-knit bunch."

"I keep getting asked how disappointed I was to miss the Final through injury and obviously it was a shame, but I was particularly pleased for Alex - he deserved to finish on a high after a season that started with such a low point due to his injury."

Its great to have a goalkeeper such as Bennett at the club and for at least two more years we shall continue to see him throw himself around for the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment