Saturday 15 September 2012

Southern Ready To Build Upon Current Form

Keith Southern put in a hardworking shift in the middle of the park today as the terriers came out victors against a very strong Derby County side. Southern showed exactly why Grayson was so keen to bring him to Huddersfield Town as he lead by example with hard tackling & a committed performance to the delight of Huddersfield fans. He explained how the game went today in his own eyes in his post-match interview;
"I thought we started the game brilliantly – we came out of the traps in lively fashion and for the first 20 minutes I thought we were outstanding. The game then descended into a bit of a scrappy pattern, but the lads showed real resilience and great character. For all the possession Derby had in the second-half, I don’t think they troubled Alex Smithies too much."
Southern watched in the first few seconds of the game as Huddersfield loanee Adam Hammill jinked in and out of Derby players before crossing for Ward to give the terriers the lead & the goal which ended up to be the only one of the game;
"I’ve known Adam for a long time. He is a lovely kid and he just needs to be encouraged and nurtured. The Gaffer knows him from his time at Blackpool, just like I do, and I think that was a big deal in the Club coming here. He’s got all the ability in the world, he’s only 24 years old and I know things haven’t quite worked out for him as he would have liked at Wolves, but he’s got many years ahead of him."
Southern was forced to go back to his trademark way of tough tackling with an aim to dominate the midfield area for the terriers as the game turned into a feisty affair at The John Smiths Stadium;
"I don’t mind that scrappy side of the game. This is a really tough League and you need to dig in, roll your sleeves up and grind the points out. I thought we deserved it today; to a man we were excellent. Any decent side is built on a platform of clean sheets and we’ve got a couple already this season. That’s what we have to do week in, week out. We have to come off the pitch totally shattered and sweating for the cause; if we do, I’m sure we’ll finish in a respectable position. Anything below those standards today and we’ll get turned over – it’s as simple as that. Every game in this League is tough. Today was a good benchmark as they are a decent side – they’ve come here on the back of a 5-1 win – but I thought our lads stood up to the test brilliantly. We’ve had a tough start on paper with the fixtures, but hopefully we can build on this now."
Southern joined from Blackpool in the summer transfer window which was a big move for the midfielder who received a testimonial for his long term service at Bloomfield Road and he is loving his time with the terriers regardless of how big the pitch is;
"If I’d joined Huddersfield 10 years ago, I’m not sure I’d still be playing now! It’s a hell of a pitch to be honest, but I’ve got some legs alongside me and I’m probably as fit as I have been in my career. I’m enjoying it here – it’s given me a new lease of life. This is a good club with good people. The potential at this football club is frightening, on and off the pitch – who knows what we can achieve this season? However, we can’t get carried away. We are on a nice little unbeaten run, but we have two really tough away games coming up; we have to keep our feet on the ground and see where we are in a couple of weeks.”"
Southern will undoubtedly be one of the first names on Grayson's team sheet as they travel to Hillsborough on Wednesday for a tough Yorkshire derby against Sheffield Wednesday and he cannot wait to build upon the current form Huddersfield has in The Championship; 
"We’ll go to Hillsborough on Wednesday and we’ll have to grind it out again; hopefully we can get another three points. We’ve not won away from home this season – we are only a couple of games into it though. Your home form is vital if you are going to achieve anything, whether that is just staying in the League or threatening the Play-Offs, and we are building a little bit of momentum."

No comments:

Post a Comment