Sunday 27 May 2012

Hero Smithies On Promotion

Injury hit Alex Smithies had to fight back to full fitness and when Huddersfield Town needed him, he was there to provide some incredible penalty saves which saw the terriers gain promotion into the Championship. Smithies also netted the winner at Wembley on Saturday and here is what the Town hero had to say about it all;
"I would have never thought it!"
"We were practising penalties yesterday and I was having a bit of a joke - I had a couple of practise efforts but I was sure it wouldn't come to me. They asked me if I wanted to take one and I was saying that I had the 11th! When we got to the eighth and ninth penalty I was thinking I had to save one soon so that I didn't have to take one! Obviously it turned out that I did and it was the winner, so I'm on top of the world right now. It's the best feeling ever."
"I think we all feared the worst after we didn't score in our first three penalties - to go and win from that position is unbelievable. It's not anywhere near sinking in yet and I think it will take some time. I live ten minutes from the ground; I was born and bred in Huddersfield as were my entire family and we all love this Club. It's a big part of me and to play - and score - in the final is unreal."
"Up until Thursday I wasn't quite sure if I was playing, so what a turnaround! I was on the bench for both the semi-finals and I'm over the moon that it's turned out like this."
Alex Smithies left Wembley with the match ball in his hand and he explained why this was the case;
"Nick Colgan has been in this situation before and when things went well he whacked the ball into the crowd. He wishes he'd kept it now, so being a fantastic guy he went to get the ball when we won and has got it signed by all the lads for me. I'll never score a hat-trick, so this is as close I will get!"
Alex Smithies will most likely by Town's number one choice goalkeeper in the Championship if he can remain fit.
"I hope it's a bright future now. I've had a difficult year and a few of the lads have told me to really enjoy this moment because of that. I've worked as hard as I possibly could to get back to full fitness and I've managed to do that, so long may it continue. The Club is getting the success it deserves."

No comments:

Post a Comment