Saturday 2 June 2012

Peter Clarke Still Buzzing From Promotion

Skipper Peter Clarke is still on a high after achieving promotion on Saturday at Wembley. The strong centre back played all 120 minutes in the final against Sheffield United and the captain also cooly slid his penalty in to turn the penalty shoot-out around.  This is what he had to say 6 days after the drama that ended up with Huddersfield Town sealing Championship football next season;

"I can't really put it into words! It's an amazing feeling - the complete polar opposite of last year. That feeling hung around for far too long, but I don't want this feeling to end. For the most part I enjoyed the game - although I suppose it was a little bit nervy towards the end! Thankfully things went our way.

Peter Clarke enjoys the moment with manager Simon Grayson
"We had one or two opportunities and perhaps on the whole we felt we deserved to win in normal time, but I thought Steve Simonsen had a terrific game. He ultimately missed the penalty that decided the tie and although I don't know exactly how he felt, I have a very good idea."
Clarke won the coin toss at Wembley and sent the penalty kicks over to the Town fauthful which he claimed was a big part in the Sheffield United penalty misses;
"After the first three I think we were wondering! I was fortunate enough to win the toss and we immediately decided we wanted to take the penalties at our end. I think the fans did everything they possibly could to put the Sheffield United players off."

No comments:

Post a Comment